SCHOOL COMPLETION PROJECT LEARNING INITIATIVE NORTH KERRY (LINK)
LINK SCP is a partnership between seven schools and agencies that came together in 1998 as one of the original 17 Early School Leavers Initiatives (8-15yrs ESLI). Up until 2011 the programme was funded by the Department of Education and Science to provide a whole school approach to responding to the individual needs of students.
In-School / Out-of-School Supports offered by Coláiste na Ríochta in association with LINK SCP include:
- A whole school approach to supporting students who attend Cólaiste na Ríochta.
- We are available to meet with parents/guardians on any issue that is having an effect on their son/daughter.
- The majority of the work that we are involved in with the school is providing in-class educational supports. Working with the class teacher to support students in class.
- Staff also work with individual students, supporting them either educationally or through social / mentoring programmes.
- The LINK SCP full time Outreach Education Worker is in the school one and a half days each week.
- LINK SCP funds a homework club one day in the week and this is open to all second level students in the school.
- LINK subsidise the lunch roll in the school and when possible we are able to subsidise other special events and activities either through funding the bus or paying for students to attend activities.
OUT OF SCHOOL
- We can support students who are not attending school due to suspension / transfer / illness / other.
- LINK SCP works with the Adolescent Counselling Service to provide a Listowel counselling support service.
- LINK SCP staff work with NEWB (National Education Welfare Board) students, parents, school and other agencies to support and promote school attendance.