Guidance within Coláiste Na Ríochta
Coláiste na Ríochta has a fully qualified Guidance Counsellor, Mrs Mary Dowling, who is available to students and parents. In a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and in complete confidence, students are advised and guided on future career plans and can discuss matters of concern to them. Parents can arrange meetings with the Counsellor by appointment through reception.
Guidance refers to a range of learning experiences designed to help students to make choices about their lives and to make transitions consequent on these choices. These choices can be categorised into 3 separate but interlinked areas:
Core Activities of the Guidance Service
Personal Counselling and Development
- Promotion of self-development and self-awareness
- Team work
- Informed Decision Making
- Action Plans to achieve Objectives
- Interests & Abilities
- Study Skills
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Examination Preparation
- Subject Choices and Combinations
- Educational Links
- Career Planning – routes and paths
- Career Development trends
- Labour Market trends
- Careers and Occupations
- Third Level Colleges
- Training / Apprenticeships etc
- Sourcing Jobs
- Curriculum Vitae
- Interview Skills
Guidance Service within Coláiste Na Ríochta.
- Individual counselling to all students by request and referral
- Class Guidance provision to 5th year& 6th year.
- Class Guidance input to 3rd years for subject choice / guidance issues
- Class Guidance input to 1st years for subject choice / guidance issues
- Psychometric Testing: DATS & CATS: 5th Year. CII 6th Year.
- First year induction interviews
- Transfers student induction interviews
- 6th year career options interviews
- 3rd year subject choice options interviews
- Organised Open Day visits: Tralee IT, LIT,UL.
- Career Exhibitions: Kerry Careers Fair.
- Guest Speakers from 3rd level and further education institutions e.g. UL, LIT, UCC,CIT, FAS, Defence Forces.
- Career Library
- CAO and UCAS assistance
- Organised Themed Weeks e.g. Friendship, Anti-bullying, Health Promotion.
- Behaviour Plans
- Student Support Team
- Tralee IT Pathfinders Access to college programme
- UCC Plus Access to college programme.
- Liaise with NEPS, CAMHS, HSE and other referral agencies
Colaiste na Ríochta career guidance portal