Coláiste Na Ríochta has been serving the Listowel area since 1903. The first school was in Market Street and was replaced by a school in Lower Church Street in 1928. Due to the demand for places it was necessary to lease the house in The Square – the building now known as The Seanchaí (Kerry Literary and Cultural Centre). As numbers continued to increase, a new school was opened in the present site in Upper Church Street. In 1990 a permanent extension with canteen, assembly area, science, languages, and social studies rooms was opened.
In recent years we have also added three additional classrooms and an ASD classroom, for students on the Autistic Spectrum. Additionally we have prefab space on the grounds to accommodate the increasing numbers at Coláiste Na Ríochta. We are in the process of further developing an all-weather playing area for students, to support the broadening range of extra-curricular activities on offer for students.